[Cincinnati.com] [Better Off Red] [Mark Sheldon]
Couple of random take home points about yesterday’s game, which was one of my favorite Reds games I’ve been to:
- It was the best game that Jay Bruce has had that I’ve been to, if you’re not counting his MLB debut. The home run was a bomb. The defensive double-play assist. The double down the line. Four RBI’s. Huge day for Bruce.
- Johnny Cueto was dominant, and working quickly. The game was just 2 hours, 23 minutes. He went seven shutout innings and after the first he never really was under any type of duress.
- Zach Cozart made the play of the year–probably the finest play I’ve seen made live at a game. From the seat of his pants. Check out that play HERE.
- We got to see Aroldis Chapman pitch. He struck out Chris Snyder with a 99 MPH fastball to end the game.
- The Reds wore the red jerseys for the rare Saturday, 4:00 PM start home game. I like the 4:00 PM start quite a bit I think. I like 1:00 PM Saturday home games more, but the Reds seem to do it once a year, tops.
- We saw the same guy in the crowd catch two consecutive foul balls in this one. Never seen that before.
- This game came during Mike Trout’s return to the big leagues and prior to watching Bryce Harper’s MLB debut later on in the night.
- The drive to Cincinnati seems a lot shorter after driving to Wrigleyville last weekend.
- I appreciate Logan Ondrusek almost beyond words. It’s great having a guy with that kind of stuff in our bullpen.
- [blackbirdpie url=”https://twitter.com/#!/DiamondHoggers/status/196269480123441153″]
- This was one of the best Saturday’s I’ve ever spent at the park. It reminded me so much of this April 27, 2002 game I was on hand for. It’s funny because I didn’t realize it was about 10 years to the day.
- I got to the ballpark and somehow the batteries in my camera died. All the pictures below are off my iPhone.