The 2016 Winter Meetings are underway. Here are some notes from Sunday night:
- Peter Gammons (on the Nationals making a run at Chris Sale: “Bryce Harper is going to only be there a few more years, so I think you make a run at Sale if you can”. Gammons says it as if it’s just commonplace knowledge that Harper is leaving the Nationals (he is).
- Matt Holliday has signed a one-year, $13 million dollar deal with the New York Yankees. This kicks off the Winter Meetings. Holliday is actually probably a tremendous fit here.
- Bud Selig and former Brave GM John Schuerholz were announced as being elected to the Hall of Fame.
- Lots of speculation on JD Martinez being dealt. The Giants were mentioned. Seems pretty clear that Martinez is probably the big name who is sent packing from Detroit.
- Brian Dozier is mentioned as being shopped around.
- Peter Gammons is still a robot.
- “Holy fake tan!” – My wife when she saw GM Dan O’Dowd on MLB Network.
Alright, so from those last two bullet points you can tell that tonight was a slow news day with people just getting into town and heading to the hotel bar. The scenery from the Winter Meetings looked great, but I expect business to really pick up tomorrow for the lucky attendees that are there.
More notes to come.