There is no better way to start the weekend than a matinee game at Wrigley Field. Sometimes when the Pirates and Cubbies lock horns, wild things happen. And today, the Cubbies Cubbie’d the shit out of things.
It certainly seemed like a given that Kris Bryant would get one off Jeff Locke today. And get one he did. His home run to left field was the talk of the afternoon, and this was a game that featured a lot of fireworks.
In this game:
- Anthony Rizzo, Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez, and Josh Harrison all also homered.
- Jorge Soler had FOUR walks.
- Gregory Polanco had four walks.
- Matt Szcur had three RBI, and Francisco Cervelli had four.
- Edwin Jackson was the pitcher of record in relief.
In the end, the Cubs prevailed 11-10 in 12 innings. It happened when Gregory Polanco tripped on a routine fly ball. A wild ending to a wild one.