I don’t really have to explain how it’s stupid to have an exhibition game between the two leagues determine for one team who gets home field advantage in the World Series, particularly given the way the rosters are put together….however.
For now I’ll enjoy the pitching show the AL put on tonight. They only gave up three hits to an all-star NL lineup. Here is the pitching numbers from the night.
For the offensive side, Jose Bautista ended up with the game winning hit – a sacrifice fly in the 4th inning. JJ Hardy and Jason Kipnis added the 2nd and 3rd RBIs. The best offensive play on the night was clearly Prince Fielder legging out a triple.
The NL didn’t fare well. Never getting more than a hit in any inning and only advancing a man to 3rd base once.
It’s fun to see all these guys get together and play a game and mostly have a lot of fun doing it. It was fun to see Mariano Rivera get the MVP in his last game (not sure why they didn’t use him for the save).
A few final thoughts:
- Fantasy owners are pissed at Matt Harvey for knocking the knee of Robinson Cano.
- Neil Diamond is old and its hard to get New York fans to sing a Boston song. I’ve never seen more disinterested New York fans as I did during the first verse of “Sweet Caroline”.
- Has there been a better player than Carlos Beltran who has played for 5 different teams and seemingly been written off several times.
- I have no idea how Joe Mauer didn’t throw out Andrew McCutchen. Perfect throw.
- Manny Machado made another ridiculous play at 3rd. When is this guy moving to shortstop?
Try to enjoy tomorrow. It’s the only day in the year with out a game played by any major sport. Maybe read a book or do something productive with your life. You’ll only have one day to do it.