We had a feeling that this was going to be a special summer for the Pittsburgh Pirates. It’s almost July, and the Pirates season is at it’s zenith. Last night the Pirates won 10-3 in Pittsburgh over the Milwaukee Brewers. It was the club’s 7th straight victory. They took a one game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central standings with the Cards 6-1 loss in Oakland last night.
Some notes on last night’s game:
- Andrew McCutchen played the part of leader going 3 for 5 with 3 RBI and this majestic home run, his 8th.
- Starling Marte went 3 for 5 and has his average up to .287 on the year. He had a single, double, and a triple.
- Gerrit Cole improved to 4-0 on the year, and he actually walked three over six innings.
- A guy named Ryan Reid who is one Pirates reliever not used out of the bullpen every night pitched the final three innings for the save.
- Johnnette Howard of ESPN says it’s the Pirates year.
The guy who I work across from at the office is a huge Pirates fan. He grew up watching Clemente. Even being the biggest worry wort on the planet, he knows his boys have something special brewing.
It’s really hard not to be happy for Pittsburgh right now. They have one real All Star in Grilli, and they’re somehow making it work night after night.