10 Cent Beer Night in Cleveland

It was 38 years ago today that should serve as a permanent reminder that Cleveland, Ohio is the armpit of America. The black-eye of an entire state. And they’re not the best fans in sports, they’re the worst.

The insufferable, ultimate-homer fans who dwell there with a sense of entitlement like they deserve things because they’re the only team that’s ever been bad for a prolonged length of time. That’s it Cleveland, you guys deserve to win the Super Bowl because you threw a ton of cheap Stroh’s at some umpires and Texas players back in the day.

Cleveland isn’t Philadelphia, and furthermore it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. Winning a title means so much to Cleveland that they in turn curse themselves. Let something else in your lives matter for a little while and maybe one of your turd teams will luck out and get to play for one again.

I used to feel sorry for Cleveland. As an Ohioan I used to really hope for Cleveland’s drought without a championship to end. I cried the night Renteria singled off Charles Nagy back up the box in ’97.

And then I grew up and started to spend time in Cleveland.

I brought my wife to Browns and Indians games. We even did a Cavs game. That’s when I lost my conviction about Cleveland sports and in fact; wanted nothing to do with the city or their fan base in terms of association. What a miserable, depressed area and group of clientele. I’ve never seen so many people looking to self-loath and be negative in my life.

The angst even exists amongst the ushers and stadium workers. I’ve never met so many cold, snarly, and prickly people in my life than a random Sunday in Cleveland Browns Stadium or on a day at Progressive Field.

Cleveland, you get what you deserve. I don’t understand why people celebrate ’10 cent beer night’ in Cleveland like it was the town’s right of passage. Cleveland fans as a whole are a pile of trash. This event was just one more piece of evidence you can throw in their file.

You’re not Philly. You’re not even Oakland. The rest of the sports world has just about forgotten you.

The Indians are even phasing out Chief Wahoo. There’s literally no reason to like one franchise in Cleveland anymore. But hey, have fun with Brandon Weeden this year!

28 Comments

1. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

10 cent beer night was 38 years ago, not 17, you ass. If you get the first word of your article wildly wrong by 21 years you can be sure the rest of the article is absolute poop. You didn’t disappoint on that end, guy.

2. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Hows that Bertman’s ballpark mustard taste while heading for third place?

3. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Bertman’s is delicious as always. Go Tribe.

4. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM

By the way, your edit doesn’t make any sense either. “It was 38 years ago today should serve as an important reminder….” Your subject-verb agreement is abysmal. Keep trying, sweetheart.

5. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Where’s your blog? Let’s see what you’ve got.

6. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Anonymous Cleveland fan hater knows the truth when he sees it.

• Big Daddy G

June 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don’t believe you were ever a Cleveland Fan, you just like stir up Sh i t where you come from.

7. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I don’t blog. I’m a real journalist and I get a paycheck writing for a newspaper. But keep trying, honey, it’s cute. And if I did write for free, I wouldn’t spew random hate about a downtrodden sports town. I’d find something to root for, not against. Stay classy.

8. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You write for a newspaper? People still read print journalism from so called ‘real journalists’ like you?

That honestly explains a lot. You should stay veiled in anonymity then, so at least I won’t know when you join the non-working class.

And as for ‘spewing hatred’, that’s what I feel when I spend time in C-town. Keep ripping those typo and grammar errors honey, that’s all you’ve got.

9. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Aww, don’t start sniffling with jealousy that you’re too dense to write something anybody would actually pay money to print. Just keep working hard, babe, and one day you might form a sentence worth a damn.

10. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I have the best of both worlds: a real career that isn’t in the process of becoming obsolete, and a blog of which has been fruitful in ways that you have no intelligence to speak upon.

I’ll continue to have fun throwing tomatoes at you, your newspaper ‘real journalism’, and the city of Cleveland. I can tell that last one got you good. So much truth here it’s lovely. Babe.

11. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

It’s always fun playing in the kiddie pool. Try to get your little panties out of that no-doubt-uncomfortable knot. Maybe put on some big boy pants one of these days and try to distinguish yourself among the sea of amateurs. But then again, you don’t seem to know the difference between 17 years and 38 so I’m not hopeful you’ll be able to decipher the finer points of quality writing or the simple reporting of facts anytime soon. Best of luck to you, sugar tits.

12. TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Playing in the kiddie pool in a mask, I might add.

For some big time journalist so proud of his accomplishments and laurels, I’m the one who is out in the open and you’re the one who remains in cover. Attach a name to your slanders of me and maybe they’ll carry some weight. Until then you’re like every other garden variety dickhead who comments on blogs, turd.

13. Your Anidiot

June 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Hahah, aww, poor baby’s all in a huff; so angry pecking away at his keyboard. Adorable.

• TheNaturalMevs

June 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

You write for the Dispatch. One of the worst papers in America. This is factual, actually. I would honestly kill myself if that was the best writing job I could land. You’re done commenting now, by the way.

14. Dan Bienko

June 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Hi Natural,
    I was in the Navy for 22 years and made sure that everyone in the country gets to say their piece. With that I do not have to agree with what people say. As a Journalist I thought that they are supposed to be objective about their writing.

I do not see objectivity in this blog. Yes Beer Night was a black eye on the City and fans of Cleveland, but as stated by some other responses, that was 38 years ago. Do you have the same hatred for Philidelphia, cheering a players possibly breaking his neck (Michael Irvin) or the complete meltdown that LA Lakers fans had rioting after winning a championship? Lord know what would have happened if they had lost.

I have been to many sporting events throughout my lifetime in many different cities and countries and unfortunately unruly and abusive fans are not just in Cleveland. I don’t know what happened to you that has jaded you so much on Cleveland, there are many hard working people and fans that do not deserve such a scathing remarks.

Marking ALL of Cleveland and the many sports fans as you have done with the angry and disparaging
    remarks is entirely your right, but isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?

15. GOBROWNS

June 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

10 bucks says hes a pittsburg fan

• TheNaturalMevs

June 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM

You spell like you are from ‘pittsburg’

• Mahalri

June 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Is that what you do when you run out of insults, you resort to attacking someone else’s punctuation, grammar, and spelling? That’s pretty pathetic.

16. domenic

June 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM

One of the worst articles I have ever read. Cleveland fans might not be the best fans, but who is to say who is? We are die-hard fans, however. I’ve met old guys in their 80’s that still watch every Browns game, regardless of the suck factor. These dudes still hold out hope that their Brownies will win the big one some day. Ever heard of the Browns Backers Worldwide? Last I knew it was the largest fan club of any professional sport. I love the internet like I love the Browns, and just like I have to deal with d-bag Steelers fans in football, I too have to deal with d-bag, shit for brains, most likely a bandwagon fan of the Steelers or Eagles or whoever you fucks cheer for these days, blogger. By the way I think your mom is calling you for dinner. Head on up stairs little buddy.

17. Mahalri

June 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

First what is with the two guys calling each other “honey” seriously, I’m a female and even I think that is flamingly weird.

Dear Douche-bag, who wrote this article, the stench from your vagina has become too severe, please shut your mouth, and tell your mom to sew her vagina shut before any more mistakes are made. This article is an embarrassment to Americans everywhere. I’m a Steeler’s fan and I can’t believe what you wrote, it’s a pathetic article, and honestly it makes me want to become a Brown’s fan just so I can shove it up your ass. My husband is a Brown’s fan he is an amazing man, he’s got a good job, he takes care of his family, and is a real man who doesn’t spend his time on random websites dogging people out of boredom. Seriously if you are so professional and have such a fantastic journalist job why do you have so much time on your hands to come on here and blog, comment, etc. seriously get a life douche-bag. Go eat another Big Mac and wallow in your self-pity with your internet addiction. You have NO BALLS.

Sincerely,
    I tea bagged your mom

• Lehmanator

June 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Mahalri,

You wrote:

“My husband is a Brown’s fan he is an amazing man, he’s got a good job, he takes care of his family, and is a real man who doesn’t spend his time on random websites dogging people out of boredom.”

I suggest you follow your husband’s lead and stop spending your time “on random websites dogging people out of boredom.”

This whole comment thread PROVES the diamond hoggers point.

• Mahalri

June 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

How does it “prove” anything, and how were did I state my husband gave me “advice?” Are you saying it is ok to generalize, and judge people according to the actions of one or two people? You are saying it’s ok to stereotype as well then I take it. So you must also be racist, and gender biased. Classy, and Cleveland is the one who you consider “trashy” hey wait a minute isn’t football filled with minorities who are fantastic athletes, oh I guess you can shove your racist shovenistic attitude up your ass. When you make foul comments and generalize and judge people, or make a public article categorizing every individual in a city based on the actions of a small percentage, don’t expect a hug in return, or act shocked when you get a nasty response. You get what you give, and honestly if you are going to comment on other individual’s imperfections, or attempt to criticize people at all you should really change that photo, or atleast put a paper bag over your head.

• TheNaturalMevs

June 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

With a name like Mahalri, I need no visual.

• Mahalri

June 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

LOL not my real name douche… and if your name is really “TheNaturalMevs” then your mom must have been smoking when she signed the birth certificate.

18. Tony

June 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Wow you’re a complete tool. We’re bad fans because we love are teams and want a championship really bad? What does is say about you that you don’t even root for your team any more because there was a annoying fan behind you at a basketball game. You’re probably one of those A holes that sucks lebron off just because everyone hates him even though you have no affiliation with Miami what so ever. At least were not frontrunners and we still sell out our games in a bad economy for a 4 and 12 team. Ya no you’re right were bad fans

19. bitethe bengalsballs

June 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I think you are obviously a bitter fan of the Bengals. In fact it would not surprise me if you were actually Sam Wyche writing under the pseudo name “thenaturalmevs”. Lets trash talk about something that happened 17 oops (jackass) I mean 38 years ago. Get a life!

20. Dan Bienko

June 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hey Natural, do you have anything in response to what I had to say?